It is highly recommend to use only one heat-producing appliance (such as a space heater, coffee maker, toaster, etc.) plugged into a receptacle outlet at a time. It's because these appliances draw a lot of electricity and having multiple heating producing applicates plugged in at time can cause wiring to overheat that could cause electrical shortage and even fire.
More tips on how to stay safe and stay warm this winter
(Images shared by FEMA)
Space heaters should also be plugged directly into a wall receptacle outlet. Extension cords and plug strips should not be used. These are not designed to handle the high current flow needed for a space heater and can overheat or even catch fire due to the added energy flow.
Install carbon monoxide alarms and test at least once a month.
Keep anything that can burn at least 3 feet from any heat source like fireplaces, wood stoves, radiators or space heaters.
Always use a metal or heat-tempered glass screen when using your fireplace.
Never use an oven to heat your home.
All these home fires have one thing in common, they were left unattended. So make sure to turn space heaters off when leaving the room.